Thursday, October 3, 2013

How To Use a Crock Pot SCCPVP553-B 5.5 Qt Slow Cooker Smart Pot with Little Dipper

Crock Pot SCCPVP553-B 5.5 Qt Slow Cooker Smart Pot with Little Dipper




How To Use a Crock-Pot



Programmable feature is limited
This is my first slow cooker, so I can't compare it to others on the market but can at least provide some feedback about the product. I wanted a programmable slow cooker so that it would automatically shut off once the meal was done cooking. With this cooker, you can only set it to cook on high for 4 or 6 hours, or on low for 8 or 10 hours. These are the only options. If I wanted to cook something on low for 6 hours, I wouldn't be able to. Well, I could set it to cook for 8 hours and then make sure I'm home to monitor it, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of a programmable slow cooker? Also, I've had to stop cooking meals an hour or so in advance because it would have overcooked - perhaps this cooker runs a little warmer than most? I've read other reviews about Rival slow cookers and this seems to be pretty common.

With the Rival SCCPVP553-B 6-Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot, those slow simmering meals will be worth the wait! The idea behind the slow cooker is a sound one. That long, slow simmering tenderizes tough cuts of roasts and chicken, and brings a fullness of flavor to home made soups. It's also ideal for cooking dried beans and legumes, which require hours of slow simmering to soften. Stews and soups aren't all that Crock Pots can do, you can cook everything from casseroles to rice & pasta dishes, steamed puddings and even breads. Fifteen minutes of prep time in the morning means that a steaming hot dinner greets your family at the door after a long day at school and work. For a family watching pennies, a Crock Pot cooking continues to be an easy...

  • 6-quart oval-shaped slow cooker with removable stoneware pot
  • Touchpad controls for selecting the cooking time and temperature
  • Automatic keep-warm mode; see-through glass lid; stay-cool side handles
  • Dishwasher-safe cooking pot and lid; bonus Little Dipper slow cooker included
  • Measures approximately 10-4/5 by 18-1/2 by 15-3/5 inches; 1-year limited warranty




Great!
I purchased this crock-pot after using an old 3.5 quart without a removable insert. I have to say it's a little large for most of the recipes I was use to using, and I have read that you should fill any crock-pot at least half full, so I find myself trying to add more ingredients to meet the half way mark. I like the shape alot, but would of preferred a plastic lid. This one is glass and I have to be careful not to hit or bump it into things (I'm not the gentlest of people with my dishes). I'm also disappointed that although it is "programmable", only two options are available for high and low. For example, you only have 8 hours or 10 hours to choose from on the low setting. I wanted to set a particular recipe for 7 hours, but there is no way to do that, so I chose 8 and had to be home to turn it manually on to the warm setting. There goes the excitement of the programmability that I thought would be so convenient!
unsafe lid
I bought this to have a larger size cooker as well as my smaller one. The very first time I used the cooker, the handle on the lid literally fell off when I lifted the lid. The lid was close to the table or would have fallen to the floor. Upon checking, it looked like the black plastic part of the handle that attached to the screw had melted. I had checked the temperature of the cooker (it was on low)previous to this and it was around 195 degrees-so it was not too hot. This is dangerous and should be reported.

I did call Rival at the number listed in the product manual and asked for a replacement lid. They said they would send me another cooker in 5-10 days. I will update the review at that time to see if they come through with their promise. They said they had had other calls about the lid problem....

UPDATE: I am pleased to say that Rival did indeed send me another crockpot, a different programmable model of the same size and actually slightly more...




More information on how to buy Crock Pot SCCPVP553-B 5.5 Qt Slow Cooker Smart Pot with Little Dipper from Crock-Pot

No comments:

Post a Comment